To successfully sell products online, you need good promotional activities in place so you can attract visitors to your site and then you need to persuade them to buy your products or services. Once you manage to get them all the way to the shopping cart, you want to make sure that you do everything possible to make the sale happen. But studies show that nearly 75% of all shopping carts are abandoned! So all that hard work in getting them that far, is pretty much wasted.
So why do people leave carts? A leading Customer Experience Management (CEM) research firm conducted a study that explained the reasons. They studied the purchase experiences of 719 customers and found the main reasons for leaving a shopping cart are as follows:
- High shipping prices (72%)
- Comparison shopping or browsing (61%)
- Changed mind (56%)
- Saving items for later purchase (51%)
- Total cost of items is too high (43%)
- Checkout process is too long (41%)
- Checkout requires too much personal information (35%)
- Site requires registration before purchase (34%)
- Site is unstable or unreliable (31%)
- Checkout process is confusing (27%)
What can you do to stop this from happening? Read our blog post with a few tips from us.